cluckingbell

CluckingBell

I have little enough to say, and even less worth reading.

The Almond Tree
Michelle Cohen Corasanti
Crete and James: Personal Letters of Lucretia and James Garfield
John Shaw
Wild Life
Molly Gloss

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)

Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne

I think this is the 5-star book of the series, but it didn't rise to the level of a 5-star book of my life. (If I'm still thinking about it 6 months from now, maybe I'll change my rating.)

Suzanne Collins knows how to write page-turners and first-person narration, and though (or perhaps because) I devoured this book fast enough to give a person literary indigestion, it was the book that kept me up thinking about it long after I'd finished reading (when I'd already stayed up far too late in order to do the reading itself).

The moral themes of the series seemed to advance from personal to in a sense tribal to global, though all within the context of one person's experience. How do you maintain your humanity when it's your own survival at stake, your family's, or people who are strangers to you—or do you even try? How do you trust anyone when it could cost your life? When it could cost someone else's life?

Collins doesn't attempt to answer all the questions she raises, but raising them is a worthwhile end in itself.