cluckingbell

CluckingBell

I have little enough to say, and even less worth reading.

The Almond Tree
Molly Gloss
SPOILER ALERT!

Monster

Monster - Frank Peretti

I saw this browsing my library’s new ebook offerings and thought it sounded good and scary. After downloading the book, I learned it fell into the "Christian fiction" genre. Not being too sure what that meant in practical terms, but nonetheless pretty sure I was not the target audience, I figured it ultimately didn’t matter as long as the book delivered. And it did prove a pretty decent, fast-paced read, though not the thrill-ride I’d hoped given a title like Monster and the rousing reviews.

Thematic spoiler in this paragraph: To really get on board with this book, you must be willing to suspend both disbelief and even the most rudimentary understanding of evolutionary theory. You must also be willing to believe 1) that people with Ph.D.'s in the biological sciences have a very crude understanding of evolutionary theory themselves (and lack the basic reasoning skills and intellectual rigor that would have allowed them to get into, much less graduate from, any doctoral program) and 2) that evolutionary theory is easily, maybe even regularly, disproved, but university faculty continue to dedicate their lives to a widespread fraud just to get the grant money.

A more specific spoiler in this paragraph: Putting aside the deeply flawed science, you also have a character who interprets her problems as God picking on her. I suppose if someone normally attributes her blessings to God, she’s going to take it a little more personally when things start going badly. Her experiences do allow her to overcome a personal challenge, however, which implies maybe the whole ordeal was part of God’s plan after all. Which might be nice and uplifting, except you’re left wondering if that many people really had to suffer violent deaths just so she could lose her stutter.

Let’s just say you'll find plenty to talk about in this book, whether you’re the target audience for Christian fiction or just a MST3000 fan.